From its beginning in 1956, Faith United Methodist Church was always moving, because its founding visionaries shared a strong unified goal of building a church to serve God. From groundbreaking in 1960, throughout construction, to the 1961 opening service, to a dynamic ministry today, the church began and continues to provide the community with the mission of Methodism.
When 500 people attended the opening service, they entered a new, modern structure, and were met not only with welcome arms, but also with deep symbolism. A stone tablet in the educational wing represents the Ten Commandments. The Narthex contains a Star of David and stained-glass figures on four doors representing the four Evangelists. The chancel window portrays faith, hope and love. There are doors of discovery, of peace, truth, social concern, worship and brotherhood. The windows of Faith Chapel/Robinson Hall portray wisdom, temperance, fortitude and justice as well as patience, kindness and altruism.
But perhaps the most important thing about the building is the people within it. Throughout the history of the church, they have formed bonds of love and commitment, of warmth and camaraderie, and of deepening faith. It’s to the building and most of all to the Faith family that visitors are welcomed.